This is my second experiment in the rainbow wrappers style. Early on I thought this was going to be a disaster and was nearly ready to throw it into the scrap pile, but I pressed on in hopes of salvaging the silver. Boy am I ever glad I didn’t give up on it! I went a little crazy with the spirals which managed to hide a lot of the weaving work I did, but I rather like the look of it.
Black tourmaline and zincite crystals add color to the silver shell. I love the color of the zincite. One tiny tourmaline bead is wrapped in a herringbone and stitched to the upper left portion of the wrap … I’m considering adding more but I’m not sure at this point. The piece is at least 99% finished, but I’m debating on a few small changes.
At any rate I am very pleased that I am finding a fair measure of success in sorting out this rainbow wrap mystery. 🙂 Again, thanks go out ot Felix, a.k.a. Andrew, of wiredoodles.com for his help in unlocking the mystery.
This is my initial foray into this genre of wire work. Thanks go out to artist Felix, a.k.a. Andrew for the pointers on where to begin in terms of construction. Thanks for being generous with your time and advice!
I used copper for my initial experiment because I didn’t want to be inhibited by the concern of wasting good silver in the event I crashed and burned, so to speak. I didn’t get too adventurous this time around. I simply wanted to focus on structural integrity, clean finishing and get a feel for this type of work. I am pleased with my initial experiement and I look forward to hoaning my skills in this genre of work.
While working on this piece, I gained inspiration for another set of experiements which should be a lot of fun. I can see it is going to be both fun and challenging to hoan my skills in this style of wrap. My hopes are that I can assimilate the rainbow style while infusing it with my own style.
This piece was completed on January 24th of 2008.
UPDATE 6-9-08 A TUTORIAL FOR THIS TECHNIQUE IS SOON TO BE RELEASED. CHECK BACK SOON!